4.7.08

some days are better than others

Canada Day:

Before barbecued chicken and prawns with some great friends, and a hot show by my new favorite band, the day started with a visit to the Fintry Delta. Even though I've lived in the Valley for nearly 18 years, I only discovered it a few years back. This is one of the most beautiful places I've physically visited; the creek/river/whatever you want to call it has a number of falls along it, each with a deep pool under the fall itself. One fall even has a natural waterslide from one pool to the other, the rock worn smooth by years of rushing water.

You know those commercials that posit that soap can mimic the freshness of a waterfall? No way it could even come close. Swimming under a waterfall is unquestionably the purest thing on earth.


The trick to shooting waterfalls is using a high f-stop and slow shutter to get a smooth, creamy look. I rarely use small apertures, preferring a narrow depth of field and the ability to shoot in natural light. This particular picture was shot at f/22, the highest my camera/lens combination would allow. Although the picture doesn't do justice to the overwhelming beauty of the canyon, I like how the waterfall turned out.

The roommate and I will be going back regularly throughout the summer, so if you're interested in joining, let us know.

1.7.08. Cropped to 3X5, slight colour correction.

No comments: