1.7.08

luminous times (hold on to love)

I shot my first wedding this weekend.

Fortunately, I was not 'the' photographer; all I was really asked to do was to shoot the guys as they were getting ready in the morning. Once they had jumped in the van to drive to the ceremony, my responsibilities were over.

This was great because, at the ceremony, I felt zero pressure. Since I didn't have to get every special moment, I'd watch where the primary photographer was and try and get a different angle on the scenario*, or even a completely different picture.

And while they were getting family portraits done, I simply walked around shooting whatever I thought looked interesting.

Half of the pictures I took at the ceremony were simply of the guests. People tend to look good at weddings, so I tried to get one good picture of each of my friends. Six of these have ended up as Facebook profile pics so far, so I judge this exercise a success.

It was a really great experience, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Not as the principal photographer mind you; this is too much fun to ruin with responsibility. Besides, to do it properly, I'd need a longer telephoto lens, a lens hood for my wide, UV filters, speedlites...

29.6.08. Cropped to 3X5.
29.6.08. Cropped to 3X5.

No comments: