16.5.08

stories for boys

I have returned from the East. Summer has arrived in my absence, and I am reminded that I really do live in the greatest place on earth. I loved Toronto, but the Valley is where I want to be. At least until the summer traffic hits. We'll see if I still have the same attitude in a month or so.

This was taken on one of my last days in Toronto. I was cycling back to my temporary abode when I came across this young man playing ball. I could relate to him in this scene, but I didn't immediately know why.

A friend commented that I should sell it to Nike with a caption that says something about dreams, which I found hilarious. I DOES have that inspirational poster feeling, although I certainly wasn't thinking about that when I took it. I like this picture because it reminds me of when I was a kid. Particularly that feeling of playing alone, and not necessarily caring about it.

I like how the building is casting a shadow over him, protecting him from the harsh light that hits the rest of the frame. It creates a picture of childlike innocence being guarded from the rest of the world. All that matters in this moment is lying within the shadow of the school. The more I stare at this picture, the more I want him to succeed.

I hope he follows his dreams.

10.5.08. Cropped to 3X5, increased exposure, reduced lowlights.

No comments: