26.12.08

i believe in father christmas

Sometimes the greatest projects simply fall into your lap.

Several months ago some friends mentioned they would like to do a photoshoot for their Christmas cards. It was one of those hilarious projects that gets talked about, discussed, planned...and ultimately shuffled to the bottom of the priority list until it fades away from memory.

This had the potential to be one of those, except that it actually happened.


Chelsey (middle) and Jordan (left) are married, while Diana (right) lives in their basement. They wanted pictures for Christmas cards - and naturally wanted to look absolutely haggard.

Fortunately, my cheap lighting set up lends itself perfectly to a purposefully amateurish photoshoot. I brought a several of my construction lamps into their living room, and set them up to cast stupid shadows behind the subjects. I myself am quite partial to the star behind Jordan's shoulder.

While I enjoyed doing this shoot, the funniest part came in post-production. I knew they would look ridiculous, but I had no idea how funny the pictures would be; several times I had to actually walk away from the computer because I could no longer see through the tears of laughter.

And the funniest part? After these pics were posted on Facebook, I had FOUR separate people ask me to do family portraits for them. Seriously? Hundreds, thousands of pictures and these make you want me?

Sigh. I don't get it.

8.12.08. Cropped to 3X5, slight colour correction.
8.12.08. Slight colour correction.

No comments: